This article is part of the Ebay affiliate program guide.
Bids and winning bids are used by Ebay as one of the major factors in determining your quality score and how much you earn per click.
What is a bid? What is a winning bid?
A bid is when someone bids on an item after they have clicked your affiliate link. A bid is also when that same person bids again on that same item or another item.
A winning bid means that the person who clicked on your affiliate link not only bid on something, but also won that bid.
Quality and interaction
Ebay is looking for affiliates to send them quality traffic that interacts with their site and purchases things. Ebay pays quite a bit of money to those who send such traffic. Making sure people are buying things on Ebay should really be one of your major goals. If they don’t buy something you should be making sure they are interacting with Ebay…
Optimizing Bids and Winning bids
I have been talking about a few of the quality factors for the Ebay affiliate guide and in each one I always like to point out that the publisher (you) have more control than you may think. Bids and winning bids is no exception. You may not have all the control you want, but you do have some control. The publishers who pay attention to details are rewarded with higher earnings.
How can I control what someone bids on or doesn’t bid on after they leave my site?
There are a few ways. Oversimplified…
- You can only display Buy it Now items (which are not bid upon) and this will lower the amount of bids you are getting.
- You can only show auction items and this will tend to increase your bids and winning bids
What else can I do?
You can do the other main optimizations for your webpages which help not only bids and winning bids, but most of the other factors as well.
- Geo targeting – Using geo targeting to weed out people and clicks who won’t or can’t buy things because they live somewhere Ebay doesn’t have a site or somewhere no one will ship to.
- Pre selling – Displaying the right information to the right customers
- Discouraging random clicks – unlike most other affiliate programs, the Ebay affiliate program pays for quality.
In another affiliate programs the logic might be something like
“Just get anyone to click, then if they ever come back, I will get credit for that!”
That mind set hurts you in the Ebay program, in fact that mindset is one of the main reasons that someone might not be making what they should from this program.
Bid and winning bids in a nutshell
Bids indicate engaged traffic, which is the kind of traffic Ebay pays for. Winning bids indicate revenue making traffic which is the type of traffic really really pays for. A good healthy site should have daily bids and winning bids.
My name is Patrick Sexton and I will be doing dozens of specific posts just about the Ebay affiliate program, please consider subscribing. Thanks.