This article is part of the Ebay affiliate program guide.
Geotargeting can be confusing. There are so many scenarios that things can get complicated quickly. This article will highlight one of the most simple geo targeting strategies for Ebay affiliates, which is displaying Ebay ads and creatives only to people in the USA. This is only one of many possible geo targeting options. I will be writing about several options, but today we are discussing this one.
Why display ads only to the USA
The most common scenario for displaying ads only to the USA is as follows…
- Most of your webpage visitors are from the USA (80% or more)
- Your average EPC is lower than you expect
- You are getting many clicks, but not so many sales
In the above example situation it is very likely that you are receiving clicks from places where nobody is really going to buy anything. This can cause many problems for you. The main problem it creates is a low EPC (earnings per click).
This means you are getting less money than you could.
Virtually any website in this scenario can be making more money by geo targeting for the USA only
If you were to implement USA only geotargeting you will likely see higher EPC within a week. There are several reasons for this…
- Only showing ads to those likely to buy things (in this case those in the USA) means the only people who see your ads are those who can actually buy something
- Many of the bad things that can happen (like bots clicking your links instead of people) originate outside the USA. When you don’t show your ads outside the USA you greatly reduce the bad things that can happen with your ads
- In this scenario (most of your traffic is already in the USA) there is very very little downside to not displaying ads to those outside the USA
How to Geotarget for the USA only
There are many ways to accomplish this. I will cover how to implement geo targeting extensively in one of my next posts. If you are serious about making money from the Ebay affiliate program, you should probably subscribe to this blog.