For many obvious reasons, people who have lost their income in the last week from the changes to the eBay affiliate program can not, or don’t want to, share personal information about their losses.
Below I give full details of one of my sites that lost income including the real earnings and numbers before and after the change.
I think it will be useful for people to have real numbers to look at and to discuss and propose some possible options and solutions.
The website I reveal numbers on below is Schwinncruisers.com. This is one of three websites I receive eBay affiliate income from. It has lost most of its earnings and was only monetized by eBay. It is a solid and useful website with no Google panda/penguin problems.
Overview before the change:
Earnings: 4,765.77 last six months (between 700 to 1000 usd per month)
GMB (Gross merchandise bought – this is the total costs of the items bought by those I referred): 59,664.14 dollars in last six months (typically 8 to 15 thousand dollars per month).
WBR (Winning Bid revenue): 6,407.01 dollars in last six months (typically 800 to 1500 per month). This is normally for me almost exactly 10 percent of the GMB.
Clicks: 59086 for last six months
Bids/BIN (bids and “buy it now” purchases): 3290 last six months
Winning Bids: 1194 last six months
ACRU (Active confirmed registered users): 31 for last 6 months
CRU (Confirmed registered users): 64 for last 6 months
Impressions (for my site this isn’t accurate as I use API alot): 293633 for last six months
Overall Web Traffic: about 100,000 pageviews a month (pretty steady for months)
Overview after the change:
GMB (Gross merchandise bought – this is the total costs of the items bought by those I referred): 410.43
WBR (Winning Bid revenue): 41.75
Bids/BIN (bids and “buy it now” purchases): 17
Winning Bids: 9
ACRU (Active confirmed registered users): 1
CRU (Confirmed registered users): 0
Impressions (for my site this isn’t accurate as I use API alot): 8446
Overall Web Traffic: about 100,000 pageviews a month (no traffic changes)
What we can see from these numbers
The traffic I send to eBay has not changed. The user behavior of those sent has not changed.
What has changed is the sales I am being credited for. This change is due to the new 24 hour cookie that eBay has implemented. So even though eBay is making the same money off of the traffic I send them, they are paying me less for it by crediting less sales to me.
There are trustable people who are reporting 80 to 90 percent losses (about what I am seeing too).
There are severe problems here, and I will speak them, though this doesn’t help me. But some things should be said with a level head…
- It is not ideal that eBay has not offered the transparency they promised
- It is not ideal that eBay/EPN is not answering the many legitimate questions publishers have asked
- It may require legal action to get them to speak. The proposed class action suit may or may not solve this. I am not joining that until I see more info. (EPN is not presenting the basic contact terms of what is paid or not paid like ACRUs for example or how negative earning are dealt with)
Complaining will not help you make money, so let’s explore possible solutions.
- Get involved with and at least read the ongoing discussions at the EPN forum
- Know who are useful members of that forum. I can tell you that the smartest, most level headed and experienced members I know of are “clickimusprime” and “helios825″ who have always seemed to have informative, useful posts. I am sure there are more, but those are the ones who stand out to me.
- The first step to recovering some revenue is likely to start only showing items that are ending in the next 24 hours. The easiest way to do this is to sort listings by “ending soonest”
- The next step may be to only show “Buy it now items”
- You may want to explore Viglinks to see if their system can help you (I am trying this now and will report my findings when I have some over the next days or weeks)
If you have thoughts on this please help others by saying them
If you are an eBay affiliate I know the stress you are going through. I will answer any questions you have about this site that I can with complete and utter transparency (really). Just ask.
If you can’t do it in comments, my email is email@example.com
note: I live in the philippines so there is a twelve hour difference from most of you, and this might affect my response time, but I will answer all emails on this subject.
Please subscribe to this blog, I will be doing alot on this subject.